Ever since my dear sister came to visit, she has been imparting her knowledge about our ancestors' culinary history. She helped me to understand that in order to restore balance to my body and health, I need to stick to the kind of food that our ancesters ate since the beginning of time. For this, I am eternally grateful because I can impart this knowledge to my daughter who is after all half Chinese.
I tried to search Amazon to see if there are any Hakka cook books for sale. Unfortunately only one is in print but it also includes other Southeast Asia recipes. Several other titles are out of print so it is almost impossible to get them.
According to the Council for Hakka Affairs Executive Yuan, Republic of China (Taiwan) (http://www.hakka.gov.tw/content.asp?CuItem=7163&mp=219
), here are some information about the culinary history.
(2. History of Hakka Cuisine)
1. Main agriculture: sweet potato, Chinese golden pumpkin, taro, soy bean, tofu etc.
2. Due to poor soil condition, most veggies are dried, salted, waxed and made into sauces to be stored for future consumption.
（三）在烹調方法上食物多用蒸、煮及用油、炸、烤及油爆多，他們認為多吃油膩，才能補充大量勞動所需熱量，也是物質缺乏時代，較粗糙食物的最佳潤滑劑，又因刀工粗獷、菜色樸實無華為其特色。3. Primary cooking methods include steaming, stir-fry, deep fried and roasting due to the need to replenish energy for labor work.
4. With regards to flavoring, Hakka cuisine focuses on freshness and original tastes.
5. Veggies include dried winter gourd, bitter gourd, napa cabbage, ginger, string beans etc.
(3. Basic Characteristics of Hakka Culinary )
(4) Focus on harmony in culinary
The aim of eating and drinking is on the original taste. Focus heavily on pairing warm and cool, heat and cold food combinations. E.g. duck simmered with lotus seed is considered cool food combination while lamb meat should be consumed towards the end of winter.
Emphasis on regularly consume plain food e.g. veggies and brans while consume rich food e.g. meat and savory during festive celebrations. Eat rice porriage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. During lunch eat sweet potato, taro etc as main grains. Common veggies include salted veggie, dried carrot, tofu, fermented black beans etc.